Fall 2014 Homeschool Days
Homeschool parents and students, these events are just for you! Once a month this fall, we are offering special programming at a special price exclusively for our homeschool community. All programs are $9.00 per participant, which includes museum admission, unless otherwise noted in the description. Non-participants only pay museum admission. Seating is limited, so please make sure you register below.
September 24th & 25th, 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
• Energy Transformations— (2-day, 4-hr/day, FREE program): Participants will explore energy sources and heat transfer, historical aspects of energy sources, and energy's economic and environmental implications for the future. They will make their own model houses and experiment with energy efficiency. Hands-on fun for middle schoolers (5th - 8th grades)! This program is offered by our Wilson County 4-H in a partnership with Imagination Station.
For more information contact Martha Bizzell (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Preregistration required by Wednesday, September 10th.
October 2nd, 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
• Diggin’ in the Dirt: Archaeology & Paleontology—Learn about the past by exploring what is just below the surface. Students will learn the difference between archaeology and paleontology, the importance of context, and will get to experience different types of artifacts and fossils. The program will conclude with a mock archeological and paleontological dig. Recommended for all grades.
October 20th, 22nd-24th, 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm
• Introduction to the Raspberry Pi, Linux, and Python—Participants in this class will use the non-edible Raspberry Pi (a credit card sized computer) and Python programming language to write code learning the basics of the Raspberry Pi, the Linux operating system and the Python programming language. Recommended age: 12+ years old. Email Brian Grawburg if you already have a Raspberry Pi (email@example.com).
Cost: $165 non-member/ $155 member
Price includes your own Raspberry Pi, books and materials - all of which you get to keep - a $75 value)
Preregistration required by Monday, October 6th.
November 6th, 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
• Pop, Fizz, TOO!—We have added new and exciting experiments to our classic favorite “Pop, Fizz, BOOM!” where we explore how matter changes its form through endothermic and exothermic reactions. Recommended for all grades.
December 4th, 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
• Biomedical Engineering—Learn about the fascinating field of biomedical engineering as your team builds models of hearts and/or arms. Learn the difference between hydraulic and pneumatic systems. Recommended for 6th through 12th grades. *Must register by Thursday, November 20th.
September 4th, 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm--Registration is CLOSED for this HSD!
• Megalodon Talk & Trace and Shark Dissection— In this program, we will dissect a spiny dogfish shark. Students will learn about the external and internal anatomy of a shark and other cartilaginous species. The students will have the opportunity to participate in the dissection and hold various organs. Recommended for 4th through 12th grade. *Must register by Monday, September 1st.